Tuesday, June 23, 2009

BORROWED TIME

I was introduced to Rochester's Borrowed Time about three years ago by my good friends in Dawn of War. Having grown up in Rochester, NY I've always tried to stay up to date on what the hardcore scene is doing up there even though I now reside in Erie. During a little Stand Firm/Dawn of War weekend on the road in 2006, they told me about a new Rochester act called Borrowed Time that I absolutely had to check out. They carried BT's No Escape From This Life in their distro so I picked up a copy and was immediately floored by how good it was. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they became one of my favorite bands after listening to only two or three songs. I had the pleasure of booking Borrowed Time in Erie on two seperate occasions. Once was with Wisdom in Chains and another time with some shitty drunken mess of a band called She Rides. They also played at the Shockwave reunion show in December 2008 thanks to EMS. All three times they played with a level of intensity and passion that is rarely matched. They also did some great covers by the Misfits, Cro-Mags and Entombed (A recorded version of the Entombed cover can be found on Annihilation).
I still run into these guys all the time whenever I attend shows in upstate NY and they are always the nicest guys you could meet. I can tell you from personal knowledge that they are the real deal. No wannabe tough-guy gimmick bullshit here. Just pissed off, honest and relevant hardcore.
They released a demo which unfortunately I don't have. Then came No Escape From This Life on Reaper Records and Annihilation on Surface Records. They also did a split with Sons of Disgrace but since it only included the tracks off of Annihilation it'd be a waste of time for me to include it here too.
Last I heard they are no longer active since Aiden decided to spend more time focusing on his tattooing. So if you didn't get the chance to catch these guys live you definately missed out. Still, do yourself a favor and check these albums out. If you like hardcore even just a little bit you won't be disappointed. And if you're ever in western NY visit Love-Hate Tattoo and hit up Aiden for some ink.

2 comments:

  1. If yer still around and looking for the demo, shoot me an email, I'll rip it for you. Awesome band, glad they made it out to Europe, saw em twice and both times they were great.

    ReplyDelete